While making your favorite type of tea requires but a few moments, as all it requires is a tea bag or tea leaves and hot water, the way in which it is prepared as well as the water temperature plays an important role in what its taste will be. Aesthetically pleasing, as well as abounding in health benefits, a copper kettle and a teapot should never miss from your kitchen, regardless if you’re an expert or a novice in brewing tea.
Kettles or Teapots?
While many are tempted to consider them the same, they are, in fact, quite different from one another.
- Tea kettle – it is used to heat water, directly on the stove. Depending on what model the kettle has, it might whistle when the water has reached the boiling point. Then, you can either pour the hot water directly over your tea bag or into the teapot.
- Teapot – it is not made to be placed on the stove. Instead, it holds the tea leaves and hot water, allowing the fragrance and aroma to spread and create the perfect blend. Then, when the tea is ready, you can easily pour it into your cup.
Using a kettle made from copper when you prepare hot water for your coffee, hot chocolate, or tea, offers you several benefits that other types of kettles won’t.
Since copper is a metal, it is highly malleable and flexible, thus making it a perfect conductor for heat and electricity. Therefore, when compared to other materials, it will heat up faster, resulting in a quicker way of bringing the water up to a boiling point. So, the waiting time for your tea is cut in half. Moreover, they tend to have a very loud whistle, which makes them extremely practical, since you won’t have to supervise them the entire time.
- No stains, no flavor
Depending on what type of tea you prefer, some blends have a potent staining capability, ending up coloring your kettles. Copper, however, is quite resistant and reliable, so no matter how often you’re going to prepare tea right inside the kettle, it will maintain its original color. Additionally, it adds no flavor to the water, so you won’t have to worry about it having a weird or unnatural taste. Moreover, it is resistant to rust and corrosion, allowing you to use it for a long time, as it will maintain its shape even if 10 years or more have passed.
Not only do these types of kettle have a beautiful, natural color, but they also have a vintage look which will surely add a touch of personality to any kitchen. Nowadays, the handles they come with are made from a multitude of materials, which will keep heat away, while allowing you to maneuver them around without burning your hands. Furthermore, since copper is easy to work with, many copper tea kettle models bare intricate details and designs, from manually carved swirls to elaborate and refined patterns. So there are high chances for you to be able to find a unique-looking kettle.
Copper plays an important role in our bodies, as it helps create red blood cells, sustain nerve cells as well as contribute to a good immune system. Either too much, or too little copper in the body, can lead to an imbalance, which, in turn, leads to serious medical problems. So, preparing food and water in a copper-made cooking ware will help reduce the gap, equalizing the amount of copper present in the body.
While there are plenty of benefits that result from using a copper-made kettle, there are some disadvantages to using them.
- Constant polishing – as soon as it is exposed to air, copper starts to create a patina over time. So, it requires frequent polish if you wish to maintain it shiny and sparkly. However, the patina can be easily removed, so it won’t take too much of your time.
- Prone to scratching – since copper is malleable, it also has a predisposition to fast scratching. Therefore, you’ll have to pay attention to what type of sponge you use when cleaning it, as well as how you handle it. Otherwise, marks will not hesitate to appear.
- Pricy – both teakettles and teapots might be a bit expensive when compared to stainless steel or glass-made types, especially if you’re looking for a solid unit.
All in all, using copper-made kitchenware for preparing food and hot water provides you with plenty of benefits that you should take into consideration, the next time you plan on acquiring new kitchenware. Keep in mind your preference as well as what the copper-made units can provide you with, and you’ll be able to find your perfect kettle.